Monday, August 16, 2010

Questions

- Why did you pair this poem with this photo/art work and the article? What do the three have in common?

All of them have to do with what, I believe, every Singaporean student will hold close to heart - studies, exams, stress. This poem shows what most parents in Singapore expect of their children--exemplary results, for their child to be 'above average'. The comic shows how all parents wish for their children to excel, as can be seen by the anxious parent in the comic. The news article shows the matter from another point of view, showing how sick and tired the children are of the constant stress of school, homework and projects.


- Examine the two Wordles. What important words, if any, do the poem and article have in common? Does the word cloud make you see the themes, ideas or subjects of each more clearly? How?

There are hardly any common words in the Wordle that I can find. However, many words have similar meanings, such as 'grades' and 'percentage'. The word clouds do enable me to see the ideas of the article and poem more clearly by drawing my attention to the larger words which I assume the article/poem is centered on.


- Which do you like best: the Poem, the Image or the Article? Why?

I like the poem best. I think it best represents what the average Singaporean student goes through and it is something I can relate to very easily. Although my parents have not exactly done as in the poem, many of my peers have related similar experiences. The stress students get, be it from teachers or parents, is really represented accurately in the poem, not sugar coated.


- What does this pairing say about life today? Do you think someone looking at it 25 years from now would “get” the same meaning? What about 100 years from now?

I suppose it means that students now are constantly stressed by their education, be it in the form of homework, exams, parents, competition from peers or otherwise.

If the emphasis on results is still the same as it is now 25, or a hundred years later, I think the people will still 'get' the same meaning.


- What other photos, art work or ST articles could also have been paired with this poem? Why?

This one? http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/368015/1/.html

This article shows the matter from a minister's point of view, and I think it allows us yet another perspective on the issue.


- What other works of Literature, Film, or Fine Art can you think of that also echo, expand or even challenge the words and ideas of this poem?

I'm Not Stupid?


No comments:

Post a Comment